City of Santa Clarita

City Council Agenda Item

AWARD CONTRACT FOR THE PURCHASE OF 14 CNG-POWERED DIAL-A-RIDE BUSES AND ONE CNG-POWERED TROLLEY

Information

Department:Neighborhood ServicesSponsors:
Category:AwardSub-Categorys:Contract

Fiscal Impact

There is no impact to the general fund with this procurement. The City has programmed Federal 5307 transit grant funds to cover 80 percent of the total contractual cost of the buses, and the remaining 20 percent required local match will come from the Transit Fund balance. All required funds are programmed in the FY 2016-17 budget.

Recommended Action

City Council:

 

1.      Waive the formal bid process and authorize the City Manager or designee to execute the assignment agreement for the purchase of fourteen (14) Compressed Natural Gas (CNG)-powered Dial-A-Ride vehicles, and one CNG-powered trolley using the statewide contract negotiated by the California Association for Coordinated Transportation (CalACT).

 

2.      Authorize the City Manager or designee to execute an agreement with A-Z Bus Sales for the purchase of fourteen CNG-powered Dial-A-Ride vehicles for a total amount not to exceed $1,802,061, or modify the award in the event that issues of impossibility of performance arise, subject to City Attorney approval.

 

3.      Authorize the City Manager or designee to execute an agreement with Creative Bus Sales for the purchase of on CNG-powered trolley for a total amount not to exceed $348,270, or modify the award in the event that issues of impossibility of performance arise, subject to City Attorney approval.

 

Background/Alt Actions

BACKGROUND

The City of Santa Clarita (City) Dial-A-Ride fleet consists of 18 CNG cutaway buses. These medium-duty buses have a useful life of seven years or 200,000 miles. Of the 18 vehicles in the City’s Dial-A-Ride fleet, 14 have reached the end of their useful life and are scheduled for replacement. If approved, this request would allow the City to replace these aging vehicles with new CNG vehicles.

 

The City’s Trolley has also reached the end of its useful life.  The 16-year-old vehicle has experienced a significant increase in the number of mechanical failures, which has had an impact on service reliability.  If approved, this request would allow the City to replace its aging trolley with a new CNG-powered trolley with additional seating capacity and improved reliability. 

 

Staff recommends that in lieu of issuing a Request for Proposal (RFP), which can take up to six months, the City Council authorize the purchase of the requested vehicles using the CalACT negotiated statewide contract with A-Z Bus Sales and Creative Bus Sales. By assuming the options available through this contract, the City realizes considerable time and cost savings.

 

The negotiated price that the City would pay will be based upon the statewide procurement of vehicles and not just on the 15 vehicles we are requesting. To ensure this approach is in the best interest of the City, staff conducted a price analysis that reflected the proposed costs were in line with industry standards. Due to the cost and time-saving benefits of this approach, the use of purchase options is prevalent within the transit industry and accepted by the Federal Transit Administration.

 

ALTERNATIVE ACTION

1. Direct staff to issue a RFP for the procurement of 14 CNG-powered cutaways and one CNG-powered trolley.

 

2. Other action as determined by the City Council.